Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bangalore and Mysore

Perhaps nothing so impresses the first-time visitor to Bangalore as the traffic, and the ubiquitous three-wheeled "motorized rickshaws."
I am about to check out of the excellent Ibis Hotel Bengaluru Hosur Road in Bangalore, India.  I have been staying here for the past six days, but today will head east to Chennai (formerly Madras) on the Bay of Bengal, a half-hour's flight or a six-hour train ride from Bangalore.
Palace of the Maharajah, Mysore
My first days in India have been busy, and gratifying.  I have been visiting an excellent graduate business school here, and have become friends with a number of their faculty.  On Sunday, I was taken as a tourist to Mysore, the seat of the Maharajah of Southern India, where I was able to visit two palaces, that of Tipu Sultan, a great general who held the British Empire at bay for many years, and that of the Maharajah, himself.
Living hieroglyphs, hitched to a cart of sugar cane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use no profanity in your comments. My granddaughter and other young people will be reading this blog. Thank you.
-Duncan