Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Giving Back at Williamsport Airport

This is a really nice small-city airport, with a coffee bar but no restaurant, and three TSA agents on the day shift to screen the 28 passengers who fit into the Piedmont Airlines/USAirways Express Canadair Dash-8 turboprop that appears to be the only plane scheduled to fly out of here until seven-something tonight.

Hence, the line at security was short, and the inspection was thorough.  As I went through security, the TSA agent pulled out my new tube of Crest toothpaste, which had come to Williamsport unquestioned in the same carry-on bag, declared it illegally big, and politely asked me to surrender it for immediate and official discarding.  Having no choice, I complied, put my shoes and coat back on, and found a seat in which to await boarding.

This will be my first homeward leg, a 45 minute jump to Philadelphia.  It was scheduled to leave at 12:38 PM, and I was supposed to catch a flight to Manchester with only a 42-minute connection in Philly. 

Then the weather delays started.  The plane will leave at 2:05.  No, fifteen minutes later, it becomes 3:27.  The US Airways agent has, thankfully, already re-booked me to Manchester on a 5:49 flight out of Philly, so I am cool.  Zen-like in my calm.

So, I am sitting here alone.  I reread last night's blog post, and crack up in laughter.  I call my brother Wally, tell him to read that "luncheon post," and he cracks up, which gets me going again, and we share a brotherly punch session.

So, I am the only passenger still inside the secure area.  The others have all gone out to get a bite at the coffee bar, or to visit the rest rooms, etc.  I am happily playing Facebook and blog games.  The TSA agent approaches.

"Sir, are you going to wait here for three hours?"

"Yes," I say, "That is my intention.  Why?"

He replies, "Because we have to stay in here as long as even one passenger is in the area."

I thought about leaving... but instead, I have eaten a Snickers bar for lunch, and kept on bloggin'.

1 comment:

  1. I harbor no hostility toward the TSA agents, but neither do I feel obliged to suffer through a second pass through their gauntlet for the same flight. Who knows what I'd lose that time?

    ReplyDelete

Please use no profanity in your comments. My granddaughter and other young people will be reading this blog. Thank you.
-Duncan