Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Musings from Kavala

Sunday, 30 May, 2010: We are now in Kavala, very different from Kosovo, though it has the same number of letters, and both start with K.  We are in a five-star, beach-side hotel, Hotel Lucy, and (curiously) have decided to spend an extra night here, before traversing Bulgaria on our way to Bucharest.

On Thursday in Bucharest, I am to speak ten minutes' worth of words at the 50th Anniversary of Fulbright RO .  I could say 60 minutes' worth more easily.  It seems as if I have lived 40% of my 67 years since 2007, when I was asked to apply for the Fulbright Scholarship in Romania.  I shall one day die different and more willingly than I would have, had I not had this experience.  In Romania I have learned that there are no coincidences, only events designed to reveal to us our Purposes, which may never be made clear to us, but which are nevertheless both real and important.

I am trying to decide what gift to leave with my former MBA students Christos and Georgia, who live here in Kavala, and who spent all of Saturday with us, until 6:30 PM, when finally we parted so they could have the evening of their 11th wedding anniversary tete-a-tete.  I am probably going to end up giving them a good scotch or a liqueur, perhaps Drambuie.  I hope the booze shops are open on Sundays in Kavala.

Last night I went over Klaus with a polish-wax compound.  This morning I buffed him.  He seems pleased, and smiles at me with his refreshed red cheeks.

As has happened before, I have written a blog post in a note to Mircea.  Thank you, Mircea the Male Muse.  I need muses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use no profanity in your comments. My granddaughter and other young people will be reading this blog. Thank you.
-Duncan