Total Pageviews

Monday, June 19, 2017

Campton Historical Society Talk on Beebe River

In about an hour I shall attend a talk on the Beebe River bobbin plant here in Campton, and on the history of the "once-idyllic company town" that it sponsored. I served as manager of that bobbin mill from 1972 through 1975. Its downfall was to me a sad but educational series of events that led to the subject of my doctoral dissertation: "Manufavturing Strategy in Diversified Firms, Linkages Between Competitive Strategy and Manufacturing Planning in the Divisions."  I hope I can sit through the talk without crying!
http://www.camptonhistorical.org/beebe%20river%20marker%20flyer.pdf

Postscript:  After thinking about my three years at Beebe River for at least three days before the event, I believe it went well for me.  No tears, and I shook hands with many old friends, former associates, and softball teammates.  I contributed one of my Draper shuttles with a package of filament yarn on its bobbin to the Historical Society.  I was happy to see that they have a display case full of many types of bobbins, as well as a few blanks, but I saw no shuttles (which were made at Draper's plant in Marion, S. C.).  Among other comments, I explained to the audience the role that bobbins played in the spinning and weaving processes of our textile industry customers.

When I sat down, the audience were kind to applaud.  Thank you, Tink Taylor, for serving as moderator of this event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use no profanity in your comments. My granddaughter and other young people will be reading this blog. Thank you.
-Duncan