Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Romanian+Panamanian+New Hampshirian Noncoincidence of the Day

Marion and Melinda
As I was about to take a dip in the rooftop pool at Melinda's building in Casco Viejo, Melinda and another woman came onto the terrace looking for me.  Standing in my swimsuit, I met Marion MacGillivray.  I soon learned that Marion is the woman who sold Contadora Island Inn to Silvio and Melinda, after operating it herself for about eight years.  Then, Meli told me that Marion used to live in New Hampshire.  "Where in New Hampshire?" I asked.  She replied, "On Stinson Lake. I used to drive often over Ellsworth Hill and into Campton."  We had lunch.  Marion, it turns out, is an American citizen of Scottish birth and South African upbringing, and has had a fascinating life.  Much of it has been devoted to education, especially of troubled former foster children, which is what her school did on Stinson Lake.  She is a friend of my PSU colleague Prof. Scott Meyer of the sociology department, who is also a friend of Shirl.  So, my Romanian former teaching assistant has bought a Panamanian hotel from my former New Hampshire neighbor.  Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed, a small world, Duncan, and getting smaller! Such is one of the wonders of travel :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please use no profanity in your comments. My granddaughter and other young people will be reading this blog. Thank you.
-Duncan